Friday, May 2, 2014

An Age Forsaken

The fantasy setting whose development I have been chronicling here is formally called The Forsaken Age. It is intended for more or less out-of-the-box use with games of the D&D family, games whose underlying mechanical assumptions are all fairly similar: the various Retro-clones, Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades as well as the various flavors of D&D proper. And, perhaps, Rolemaster. At this time I'm not terribly concerned about stats, but I'll get to that; it's my intention for this to land on a tabletop next summer (2015,) so that's what I'm slowly working my way towards.

Thus far I have established, in previous articles, a basic map and about half of the linguistic framework for the Eastern Isles of Llethra, which is where (it is intended) the campaign will be set. Now I'm going to move to a different topic for a while: cosmology.

For the sake of clarity, though, there's something I should mention. I have another fantasy setting, Ytherra, which has been many years in the making and which is not a kitchen sink fantasy world. There is a blog for it, HERE, where you might get a little taste of it, but to be honest I don't post often there. Ytherra was intended as a gaming setting in its genesis but moved far afield from that in its development. I am still working on it, but at this time it's my notion to some day write a novel set there. It is not at all connected to the Forsaken Age, and I am trying to avoid any overt parallels or re-use of material. But of course both projects reflect my own aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment